CVS self checkout registers -- faster experience, or an end run on customer service?

I had my very first experience with a CVS self checkout register yesterday!  It looks like some CVS stores in San Antonio will be getting these as part of a remodeling project, and it's going to completely change how customers shop at those stores.  Here are my thoughts on the CVS self checkout experience.


First, a confession:  I usually avoid self checkout lanes at HEB, Home Depot, etc. at almost all costs.  I feel like it's more trouble than it's worth in many cases, especially if I'm shopping with reusable bags that the bagging station doesn't recognize.

In this instance, though, I didn't have tons of options -- the CVS store I was in (at the corner of Medical and Wurzbach across the street from Walgreens) had several customers waiting for the one traditional register.  And that cashier was trying to ring people up and answer questions in the photo area at the same time.  So off to the self checkout I went.


The self checkout does let you scan your Extra Care card, so that was one big worry eliminated right away.  I didn't have any reusable bags with me, so I wasn't planning on using my CVS bag tag -- but I didn't see a prompt for it, either.  


I also didn't see a prompt on how to scan coupons or Extra Bucks after you ring up your items.  Had the store been better staffed, I would have asked for help, but in this case I had to pay without using my $6 in Extra Bucks that were burning a hole in my pocket.


So overall, I think the self checkout experience at CVS is kind of a mixed bag.  It's perfect for people dashing in for a couple of non-coupon items, but if it's meant for everyone to use, the prompts for couponers need to be more obvious.  Otherwise, the labor CVS is saving by staffing less cashiers will be eaten up by cashiers or managers having to troubleshoot with frustrated checkout customers.


Do you like self checkouts -- at CVS or anywhere?  Share your thoughts in the comments section, or over on the San Antonio Budget Grocery Facebook page!


Click here to see all the current CVS freebies and deals.

Want more freebies and deals? Go back to the front page, follow me on Twitter, or keep up with all the action on Facebook.

Comments

  1. You just scan your bag tag and scan your coupons and ECB.

    Its easy peasy - no worries.

    We have had them in the Boston area for a year or more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing it was the same today. You can't scan coupons yourself anymore without approval, unlike the good olden days.

      Delete
  2. i love the self scan registers, it prevents a long line behind you - they can go to other self scanners. And yes you just scan your bag tag (after you have scanned at least 1 item)and then at the end you scan each coupon or ECB and it will take the money off of your total. Then you drop them in a coupon box to the left. I like it because I can watch each coupon go through and not worry about cashiers making mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That store is NEVER well staffed...they have had those machines for almost 6 months now...I wont use them unless its something I don't have a coupon for. I think they are trying out ways to improve the customer experience and less waiting times in lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean "something I don't have a coupon for"?

      Delete

Post a Comment