Walmart Coupon Policy Changes September 2012

-Walmart has made some changes to its internal coupon policy this month.  Here's a brief rundown to what you might see happening in the store, and why.



According to Paul from over at I Heart the Mart, Walmart instituted a new coupon policy for cashiers, CSMs, and managers beginning September 1.

Going forward, Walmart cashiers must scan all coupons on the flatbed scanner, not on the handheld scanner.  If a coupon doesn't scan, neither the cashier or the manager can override the computer -- they will just refuse the coupon.

This new policy applies to ALL coupons -- both newspaper coupons and printable coupons.

In the long term, this will help Walmart cut down on internal and external cases of coupon fraud -- Paul says his store has been losing over $10,000 a month on improperly used coupons!

So obviously this is a step that Walmart really needs to take -- if stores are losing that kind of money to coupon fraud, it's only a matter of time before all shoppers pay for it in the form of higher prices.

But in the short term, this could be a real pain for couponers, especially if a coupon is printed with both the new GS1 bar codes and the old bar codes.

It's very likely that your cashier will not know which bar code to scan -- and that could result in a coupon being refused when it's completely legitimate.

So if and when this happens to you, be sure to ask for a CSM or manager -- they won't be able to override the computer for a fraudulent or improperly used coupon, but they may be able to help the cashier figure out which bar code is readable by their register.

Also, I don't think it's a bad idea to start using a higher-quality print setting on the coupons you print.  I have personally found that coupons I print in a draft setting seem to be refused more frequently than coupons that use a touch more ink.

Your turn:  How do you handle it when your coupons don't scan at check-out?  Do your cashiers work with you, or have you walked away empty-handed?  Share your experiences in the comment section below.

Want more freebies and deals?  Follow me on Twitter, check out my boards on Pinterest, or keep up with all the action on Facebook.

Comments

  1. I have had a register not scan my (legitimate) coupon at Walgreens.The gal who works at my Wag's sometimes covers one of the bar codes with her finger, and they go right through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem with Walmart is in even getting them to try to use/scan the coupon. Almost every time I shop there, which isn't very often, I tell the cashier - at the beginning - I have coupons. I'm putting them here for you, and I put them on the little check-writing stand. They proceed to scan my items, and push total. I have already swiped my credit card and therefore the transaction is complete, without using my coupons. I then have to go to customer service for a cash refund on the coupons. Next time, I'm not going to swipe my cc until everything is finished and my coupons are scanned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what they told me-don't run your card till after they scan your coupons. After your card is charged, it's a much bigger hassle!!!

      Delete
  3. I very seldom shop at Walmart. Mainly because they are so picky about coupons at our local one. I've had the one refuse coupons at the one closest to home but if I'm willing to drive to the one in a rotten neighborhood they accept them without any problems. These are not coupons that I printed they are ones that I've cut out of the Saturday News Herald. Which gives you al the coupons on Saturday that you normally would get on Sunday. For 3 times the price:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. becky gw, don't even set the coupons somewhere in hopes that they'll remember. I hand cashiers the coupons about 4 at a time. I usually group them together by like coupons. That way I know the coupons didn't get stuck together or fly away, unscanned. When I hand them 4 like coupons, for instance, I'll say "there are 4 of these." And if I only hear 3 beeps, I know that 2 coupons got stuck together. What do they care? But I do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment