3 reasons your coupons aren't scanning -- and what to do about it

It's a couponer's worst nightmare -- you're standing at the register with a fistful of printable coupons, watching a cashier refuse them because they won't scan.

Your cashier isn't involved in some secret anti-coupon plot -- there are a couple of legit reasons why your coupons aren't scanning.  Here's 3 things to consider, and what to do about it.



Problem #1: Skimping on printer ink

First off, the error could be printer-related -- if you're printing your coupons on a draft or text setting to save money, the barcodes may not be printed clearly enough for the scanner to read.

Test a few different print settings to determine which one works best on your printer.  It's unlikely that the printer itself is the issue, but if you feel like you need to upgrade, we should see lots of sales as the back to school shopping season revs up later on this summer.

Problem #2: Fooled by a fake?

Secondly, it's possible that you accidentally printed a fraudulent coupon.  The Coupon Information Center finds new fake coupons online almost every day, and while most of them are pretty easy to spot, some fakes are of very high-quality.

Check out some quick tips on how to spot a fake coupon if you think this might be the issue.

Problem #3: Cashier confusion

Finally, it's possible that your coupons do indeed scan -- but your cashier is scanning the wrong barcode.  Manufacturers are in the process of switching their coupon barcodes to a more complex system that helps them fight coupon decoding and other forms of coupon fraud.

Look at the image of the barcode at the top of the page.  In the past, all coupons and register systems worked off a barcode like the one on the left, and going forward, companies and stores will transition to the barcode on the right.

In the meantime, however, a lot of printable coupons and newspaper coupons have BOTH barcodes.  So if your cashier is trying to scan the old barcode into a new register, it won't scan -- and vice versa.

If your cashier has a scanning gun at check-out but is using the flatbed scanner, ask them to scan the barcode with the gun, to see if that helps.  Otherwise, ask for a manager's help -- s/he may know which systems the store is currently using, and therefore which barcode to scan.

You might even experiment with scanning the coupons yourself at a self-checkout register, to see which barcode works at which store!

Read more information about the new barcodes and how they fight coupon fraud over at Barcode US.

Your turn:  How do you handle it when your coupons don't scan at check-out?  Do your cashiers work with you, or have you walked away empty-handed?  Share your experiences in the comment section below.

Want more freebies and deals?  Follow me on Twitter, check out my boards on Pinterest, or keep up with all the action on Facebook.

Comments

  1. I was at HEB and was accused even before the cashier and manager scanned them which of course infuriated me. Once they scanned each one and each one went through, I didn't even get an apology from the manager that was talking ugly to me and verbally attacking me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's terrible!

      If that happened recently, or if it EVER happens again, I strongly recommend calling HEB Customer Service at 1-800-432-3113 to let them know of your experience.

      I really think that HEB is one of those chains that cares about customer service; believe me, they will follow up with the store!

      Delete
    2. Yes Heb does believe in customer service! I would have gave her the customer service number too! I am so sorry to hear this happened to her. As a fellow couponer myself. I try to check all my couponers with courtesy as I would want to be! Often it me on the other side of the register with the coupons. Thanks Jennifer for your helpful hints!

      Delete
  2. I always have issues with the coupons from All You Magazine. Just today, I tried to use an Aussie coupon at Walgreens and the young guy couldn't get it to scan. I just told him to take thoe items off. I was in a hurry, but I will try again either at that store or Wal-Mart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have printed coupons at home and they don't scan at HEB and I kept wondering why, but I guess it could be my printer? They refused my coupons :( but I still bought the product.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment