When Is A Coupon Too Small To Bother With?

When is a coupon so low-value that it's not even worth the trouble of collecting or clipping it?

I'm sure everyone has a different answer to this question, and it probably depends on the brand and whether or not it's an essential item for you.

But I've been thinking about it more and more lately, as we are starting to see more 25 cents off or 50 cents off 2 coupons pop up in the paper or online to print.



These coupons are probably great if you're in an area that doubles or triples coupons (does anyone even triple coupons anymore?) but here in San Antonio, it always leaves me with coupon sad face.

Here's a coupon offer I spotted in the August 4 CVS ad that was SO low I wondered why CVS was wasting the ad space.

Cans of Arizona tea are on sale 2 for $1 August 4 - 10, and according to the ad we can snag a 12 cents off 2 coupon from the CVS coupon center.

Yep, not 12 cents off one -- 12 cents off 2.  That's just six cents off each can, which wouldn't even cover tax in my town.

What's worse is when you read the fine print, it limits the coupon to one per Extra Care card -- so it's not like you can stockpile at the 44 cents per can price.  The most you can get at that price is two cans.

What gives, CVS?  It's August, and two cans of tea isn't really going to help people stay cool!

So as you can tell, I'm very ambivalent about this.  One one hand, a discount is a discount -- and overall, paying 44 cents instead of 99 cents for a can of iced tea is a pretty good deal.

And I don't EVER remember complaining about CVS coupons before -- as most regular readers know, that's my favorite place to shop.

On the other hand, I worry that the more consumers redeem these lower-valued deals, the more we'll see of them as companies figure out they can short-change us on our savings.  That's why I very rarely promote lower-value coupons on the blog, unless I know it's a coupon that comes around very infrequently.

What do you think?  If you drink this brand, would a six cent discount per can lure you into the store?  Or would you skip the deal altogether?  Share your thoughts in the comments section below!


Comments

  1. No way would I use .12/2 coupon. I have a hard time justifying .50 off two or three items if it is not something I normally buy or need. I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. I rarely use $.50 coupons, much less $.25 ones, unless it is an item that is less than $1 to begin with. I'm also shocked that CVS would have a coupon that low!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only time I use the low value coupons ($.25-$.50) is when I'm buying that item already and just happen to have the coupon. The $.25 charmin coupons are always just really disappointing, though I still clip them for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cost more ink than to print that coupon. many times i print .50 and above unless i know that cvs or someone out there allows us to stack w/their coupon then .25 is the lowest. I agree on the not using the 12/2 as they will think oh they are jumping, lets give them more of those. not this girl! not enough room in my coupon book to make a slot for that low of coupon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment