Freebie Shopping: When Should You Stop?

I'm having an ethical dilemma right now that kept me up a good part of last night...and since it involves couponing, I thought I would share it with everyone here and see what your thoughts are.

I have an opportunity today and today only to score a big freebie haul at CVS -- $60 worth of shaving cream, body wash, and other items for free!

But I'm not sure I actually want to go through with it.

When should you stop collecting freebies?  Is there a certain point your stockpile turns into a hoard?  And if so, how do you know when you've hit that point?



Here's a high-level look at the deal I can do today if I decide to:

  • I have a 25% off CVS coupon that was sent to my Extra Care card that expires today, and when I went last night to buy my free Almay, I also received a $10 off $50 coupon that can be used right along with it.
  • If I buy all ten bottles of body wash from the freebie deal I told you about last night, plus buy $30 worth of Gillette shave cream (and use the $6 off 3 coupons from the 8/11 Red Plum), plus buy an additional $10 worth of stuff, I could basically get everything for free after coupons and Extra Bucks!
Here's why I kind of want to do the deal:
  • It's an awesome shopping haul, and I get little bursts of excitement and adrenaline just thinking about it.
  • I would donate it all, or else save everything for freebies for folks who attend my coupon classes this fall.
  • My CVS cashiers actually get really excited when I come in -- they like watching me do my coupon hauls because I explain my deals and share coupons with them.
  • I hate wasting coupons, and the CVS coupons are attached to my Extra Care card, which means no one else can use them.
Here's why I don't want to do the deal:
  • I don't need it.  I've been actively building a stockpile for four years now, and I have a lot of shaving cream and body wash already -- enough that I can guarantee I can get more for free at some point before I run out.
  • It would probably clear the shelf of both items at my CVS store, which means no one else could take advantage of the body wash deal there.
What do you guys think?  If you're an experienced couponer, have you hit that point in your stockpile where you find yourself passing up freebie deals?  I'd love to hear your advice and thoughts in the comments section.

Comments

  1. When you are donating to needy people then go for it; the manufacturers and company build this in and store is not losing money. It is ethical to save to giveaway and to gift at classes etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it. Major opportunity to use it for good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should do it and donate! It's awesome that you think of others and are able to help people in need!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say do it. Could always give to your fans who aren't good at couponing. :) many of us could always use a extra body wash or shave cream. I know I could.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you want to donate it, but what about the person who was going in for the one item that they now have to pay more for because you cleared the shelf? I wouldn't do it. You said your stockpile is sufficient, and a great deal will come along again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the exact same dilemma. I have been stockpiling for over 3 years now. I have loads of stuff and even though I still keep getting more and more coupons every week I have found that passing on deals is ok. There will be more in the future to take part in. I also hate my coupons going to waste so I trade them online instead or give them to family or friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Wounded Warriors and Fisher House at Fort Sam Houston are always gratefull for any donations. It is a nice, subtle way to say thank you for their service in a practical way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would take advantage of the deal and donate it to those who are less fortunate who would enjoy using products they would not normally be able to afford. I had an opportunity to clear my shelves earlier this year when a family lost everything they owned in a house fire. You would not believe the expressions on the family’s faces when they saw the bags contained the "GOOD STUFF." My stockpile is really low now and it’s time to begin the process of "restocking." As for your concern for clearing the shelves and depriving others of the opportunity, hit is a larger volume store that will have more products on the shelves for others to take advantage of the sale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. well, I would think about it twice, if a) stuff does spoil. b) will you use them if you don't get to donate them?? c)and if they do spoil, is it better for someone to use it then end up in the trash. just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would not personally clear the shelves. There have been quite a few times that our family of 8 really needed one of these deals only to be beaten out by a shelf clearer. At multiple stores, no less. I also see like in the case of my sister where it has become an addiction
    and her stockpile is literally EVERYWHERE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this might be my sister. Text me if this is you.

      Delete
  11. I know you are from Sa, Tx right? We have lots of CVS's find one with a big stock and I noticed many of the coupons from Magic Coupon Machine(most of last week) you could add in some CVS brand shampoo's and conditioner to not just buy the body washes. They too are on the $20/$10ecb. I personally think anything more than a year or 2 will be not as good after sitting so long. I try to keep my stockpile small and reasonable not a hoard. Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  12. DO IT!! There are tons of ways to donate, some ways I bet most people don't even think about. I am a preschool teacher at a Head Start, and my kids LOVE to play with shaving cream!! I scored six cans for free, that should last me through the first semester. I also donate bathroom items to a local woman's shelter in the area. My own stockpile I try to keep about a years worth of stuff, unless it's something that I KNOW is gonna get used, like men's deodorant (I have four sons and a husband), and laundry soap (four boys, three in sports, and one baby means LOTS of laundry).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just started couponing, and with tough times, it will be nice to be able to go and also avail of the deals. I have found myself, standing in front of an empty shelves and deals are all gone :(
    It is nice to donate. But also think of other families that are couponing because they are tight on money.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do it and donate it!!!!!! As long as needy people will benefit, I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I say do it! You are not a hoarder, you donate and use much of your stuff. Go for it, and hopefully they will have enough!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do it. You are doing it with good in mind. If you don't do it, someone else will.

    Not sure how you would have enough coupons for the free body wash deal...? If that coupon starting printing on Sunday and assuming you got one on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, you would only be able to get 6, right? Clue me in if I'm missing something. I'm still learning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that if you are questioning yourself you already have your answer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been couponing for 11/2 years, and tomorrow I am taking 2 big boxes of deodorants, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body lotions,razors,shower gels and the like to a safe house for battered women. Some of these women leave in the middle of the night with only the clothes on their backs. I always get all the free things I can so these women feel a little bit better about themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment