Would You Eat Just 10 Foods A Week To Save Money?

Would you pare your grocery list down to just 10 foods a week in order to save money?

One couple has done just that -- Angela and Ted Jalad are featured on Yahoo's Financially Fit column this week, talking about how they erased $50,000 worth of debt in one year.

One of their tactics was living on just 10 grocery basics for every meal in order to save money.  Here's their weekly grocery list:

  • eggs, 
  • milk, 
  • bread, 
  • salmon, 
  • chicken breast, 
  • broccoli, 
  • asparagus, 
  • Brussels sprouts, 
  • berries 
  • and oatmeal.
The article doesn't list their weekly expenses on groceries, but it does say the couple allocated $100 a week for food, gas, and any other incidentals.

This looks like a pretty healthy grocery list to me, but I'm not sure how much money you'd save by buying the same fruits and vegetables every week, regardless of whether they are in season or on sale.

Also, I can't get over the absence of coffee on this grocery list!

Would you consider shrinking your grocery list down this far in order to pay down debt or save more money?  Which items would you put on your grocery list?  I'd love to hear your ideas in the comments section.


This post was shared at the Simple Lives Thursday blog hop.

Comments

  1. Eggs, milk, bread and oatmeal are a no brainer. I'd probably just say chicken & leave it at that. Costco rotisserie chicken can go a long way! Fish, I'd go w/tilapia it's less expensive and versatile. Bananas are inexpensive & you can make lots of goodies w/them. Cabbage & potatoes and leave it for whatever fruit is on sale & in season. I'm assuming spices are an automatic in, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brussels sprouts would not make my list. And I'm wondering what they do for lunch? I'm not sure how limiting variety saves money? I'm pretty sure my family could go a long way on broccoli, green beans, carrots, apples and chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, heck. I just read the story. Bullcrap. Young couple, no kids, living at home and more income than my single income family of four. Of course they can pay off their debt quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'd be rich if we made that much money and could live at home!

      Delete
  4. I read the full article earlier in the day. I don't think this couple is typical of the American public; but they did what the could do to have a good start to their marriage. I applaud them for that. As for the list, no way in &*(^ could my family live on only 10 items. I am trying to shrink my list by not purchasing items to "try" just because I have a coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first moved out on my own 12 years ago. I was pretty broke since I had just bought a home. I bought the same items each week for several months until I got on my feet again.
    A loaf of bread, Budding lunch meat packets, a 12pk of coke and a case of ramen. I was single and childless.
    Of course I could never get away with this type of shopping list now....nor would I want to lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. $100 a week for gas, groceries, and other stuff.. WHAT!!!!!!! our gas budget alone is $145 a week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I work the opposite way. I buy the main staples (milk, bread, etc) but if chicken isn't on sale that week then I buy pork (or whatever meat is on sale) and we eat more pork that month, same with produce. I feel like limiting yourself to certain foods could end up costing more based on the sale cycle, coupons and what is in season.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment