Shopping Haul: Spent $16.65, Saved $39.11!

Well, my shopping trip today contained an unexpected challenge -- I realized when I was already at the store that I had left my debit card at home!

That meant that I could only spend what I had in my wallet -- $10 in cash, a $10 CVS gift card, and all my clipped coupons.

So what you see in the photo is what I managed to buy with those resources -- 25 items for a grand total of $16.65.  The original price for everything was $55.76 -- so I saved about 70% off shelf price with my coupons!

Here's how the math broke down:

Store #1: HEB -- where I discovered I was missing my debit card

  • Pepsi Next 2-liter -- on sale for $1.34.  I used the Try Me Free coupon from the Super Bowl commercial, which my cashier entered for the top value of $1.99.  So I got 65 cents in overage!
  • Suave Moroccan Shine Shampoo -- priced at $2.88 each.  I used the Try Me Free coupon I received in the mail last week, which my cashier entered for $3.50.  So I got 62 cents in overage!
  • 2 bottles of Wet N Wild nail polish -- priced at 93 cents each.  I used two $1 off coupons from the 2/10 Red Plum insert, which my cashier did not adjust down.  So free, plus a combined 14 cents in overage!
  • Poise Body Cooling Towelettes -- priced at $2.97 each.  I used the $3 off coupon from the 2/10 Smartsource, which my cashier did not adjust down.  So free plus 3 cents overage!
  • 2 packs of Maruchan Yakisoba noodles -- priced at 64 cents each.  I used two 50 cents off coupons from the 2/10 Smartsource, which made these 14 cents per pack.
  • 2 bottles of HEB sugar-free lemon sparkling water -- priced at 50 cents each.
  • 2 cups of Uncle Ben's brown rice -- priced at $1 each.  I used this $1 off 2 coupon and paid 50 cents per cup instead.
  • Yellow bananas -- priced at 48 cents per pound.  My bunch cost 75 cents.
  • Jennie-O turkey franks -- priced at 98 cents per pack.
  • 2 cans of Harvest Creek chunk white chicken -- priced at $1 each.
  • Hill Country Fare 100% whole-wheat bread -- priced at $1.48 per loaf.
  • Frigo Light String Cheese -- priced at $2.50 per pack.  I used a 75 cents off manufacturer's coupon that was taped to the  bag in-store.  That knocked my price down to $1.75.

My total before coupons was $21.17, and after coupons it fell all the way down to $7.93.  I think I have only received overage at HEB once before -- it's not part of their coupon policy -- but I was super-happy to have it today!

Store #2: CVS -- I did two transactions at CVS to maximize my Extra Bucks.

Transaction #1:

  • 4 12-packs of Diet Coke -- on sale for $15, with $5 back in Extra Bucks.
  • I used two coupons, each for a free 12-pack of Diet Coke, that I got from My Coke Rewards.
  • That knocked my price down to $8.12 including tax, which I paid using my $10 CVS gift card.  Then I got my $5 in Extra Bucks, which I rolled to the next transaction.
Transaction #2:
  • Acai Blueberry chocolate -- on sale for 67 cents, with 67 cents back in Extra Bucks.
  • 20oz bottle of Diet Coke -- priced at $1.74.  I used the Try Me Free coupon from the Super Bowl commercials and paid nothing for this.
  • Wheat Thins -- on sale for $2.50 per box.  I used a printable $1 off coupon (no longer available) to knock my price down to $1.50.
  • Gallon of skim milk -- on sale for $3.29 per gallon.
So my total before coupons in the second transaction was $8.20.  After my coupons and my $5 Extra Bucks, I paid just 60 cents in cash -- including tax!


In total, I spent $8.12 out of the $10 CVS gift card, and $8.53 in cash between the HEB receipt and my second CVS receipt.  Plus I still have 67 cents in Extra Bucks to use on a future transaction.

Maybe I should leave my plastic at home more often!

Want more freebies and deals?  Follow me on Twitter, check out my boards on Pinterest, or keep up with all the action on Facebook.

Comments