Why You Have To Wait To E-File Your 2012 Taxes

One of the unintended consequences of the last-minute fiscal cliff compromise passed this month is that U.S. citizens now have to wait to file their 2012 taxes.

Instead of accepting e-file taxes on January 22 as planned, the IRS announced today they will not accept any 2012 tax returns until January 30, 2013.

The delay allows the IRS time to update forms and test their e-filing systems after the late, last-minute tax changes went into effect on January 2.



Paper filers won't be able to get a jump on processing, either -- the IRS won't begin looking at those until the end of the month as well.

Am I the only person irritated because I have to wait an extra week to get my refund?  It's not the fault of the IRS that Congress is completely inept dragged their feet over the fiscal cliff, but man -- I have plans for that money!

And naturally, this is the one year that my W-2 forms are available earlier than normal, too.

Read more about the 2012 tax filing changes here.

Want more freebies and deals? Follow me on Twitter, check out my boards on Pinterest, or keep up with all the action on Facebook.

Comments

  1. Ugh! Super irritated! My Computer has decidedto be near death since it somehow *knows* I've got money coming :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irritated totally......but I seem to stay this way with the do nothing majority in Congress. OK, rant over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol wryknow for some reason every time its tax season an appliance decided to break on us 4 years ago it was my tv, 3 years ago it was the ac/heater unit and it needed to be replaced, 2 years ago it was a washer, last year the microwave now this year my dryer, and laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna - I already have to replace my vacuum! That was a known. But as soon as I finished the 1040, I started losing port access on the PC and the battery on my motherboard died. Arg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even worse, according to the IRS posting (in link above), those who file 1040 to claim the mortgage interest credit will have to wait until late Feb/early March to file this year. Wow!:-( Thanks, Jennifer, for the heads-up. Definitely good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! It is all very irritating to me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment