Coupon stacking at HEB: a brief tutorial

UPDATE: HEB ended stacking as part of their coupon policy back in 2013.  For more complete information on the current HEB coupon policy, click here for my HEB 101 guide!


Ah, the famous HEB yellow coupons -- some shoppers love them because it makes for easy, clip-free savings on any given trip to the grocery store.  But couponers -- even experienced couponers -- often have a lot of questions about when and how you can stack coupons at HEB.  Here's a visual guide to help you navigate through the process.



This is what the most commonly found HEB yellow coupon looks like.  See the 'M' in the bottom left-hand corner?  This is really a manufacturer coupon, that HEB is printing on your behalf.  Since HEB gets reimbursed from the manufacturer when this coupon is redeemed, you can't stack it with another manufacturer coupon -- that would be double-dipping.

Sometimes, HEB will release actual store coupons -- often online or in the My HEB Texas Life magazine that you can snag the first couple days of each month at the register.  These will have either a 'S' code or a 'B' code on them, so you know that you can stack them with manufacturer coupons.  Here's a visual example:


This picture is from a HEB printable coupon for $2 off any John Frieda Precision Foam hair dye.  Since this is a 'B' code coupon (which stands for Big Savings), it can be stacked with any John Frieda manufacturer coupon -- like the $2 off coupon that ran in the 3/6 paper.  Sweet deal, right?


Here's where things get tricky: when you're presented with a BOGO coupon.  The official HEB coupon policy states that "combining a manufacturer issued coupon with an H-E-B issued manufacturer coupon (Type M) on the same item is not permitted."  The trick is in the phrase "same item."

When you get a BOGO coupon, at HEB or other stores, the coupon discount will attach to the free item.  So if you want to use a manufacturer coupon with a yellow BOGO coupon, it can only be for the item you'll actually be paying for.

This policy can really confuse some of the cashiers out there, but I've always been backed up by HEB store management on this one.  So if you have a cashier questioning the legality of your coupon stack, I always recommend asking for the manager on duty -- it's faster and way less stressful than getting into an argument with a cashier.

Remember that HEB, like any other store that accepts coupons, is getting reimbursed from the manufacturer for the vast majority of coupons available -- so don't let anyone guilt-trip you in the checkout line to giving up your savings!

Got more questions about couponing at HEB?  Let me know in the comments below (or on the San Antonio Budget Grocery Facebook page) and I'll address them in a future post!

And be sure to check out my brand-new site devoted JUST to couponing at HEB: HEB Bargain Hunter.

Comments

  1. Thanks for explaining HEB and BOGO! We've wondered about this recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to help! This was definitely a case of a picture being worth a thousand words, I think. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are all In-Ad Coupons considered Type M? And can you only get the Type S or Type B from other sources and never hanging in the store on those yellow coupons?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leslie --

    The vast majority of HEB coupons are Type M -- whether they're yellow coupons, HEB-sponsored coupons that run in the paper, printable coupons from their website, or coupons from the My HEB Texas Life magazine.

    Type S and Type B coupons are pretty rare, and most frequently found on HEB.com, although once in awhile a yellow one will pop up in stores.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer,

    I'm so glad to have found this blog! Coming from CA to a city that is dominated by a store that does not double coupons is quite an adjustment.

    Thanks so much for the info! Very helpful!

    :)

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate your tips! We just moved here from Indianapolis and I shopped at HEB for the first time a few days ago! I was wondering what was up with all the little yellow coupons! This was very helpful and I'll have my eye out for the little letters in the corners of the coupons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had to read this again to get clarification on HEB. I'm glad we're coming up to a new month in a few days so I can get some MTL mags...I may have to get more than one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently called H.E.B and asked if I could use a M coupon on the promotion of BOGO on Tyson chicken and get the pasta and sauce free. The manger said no. Is this for all H.E.Bs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The information in the tutorial is taken directly from the HEB Corporate Customer Service folks. So yes, you should be able to use a Tyson manufacturer coupon, then use the HEB coupons for free pasta and free sauce. When the HEB coupons are scanned in the register, they attach to the FREE items, not to the item you're paying for. That's why you can use an additional coupon on the item you're paying full-price for.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
  10. Man, all this is so tricky. I am just now diving into the coupon clipping world because my boyfriend and I are quite young and on an extremely tight budget. It is inspiring to hear about mamas who walk out of stores with hundreds or even thousands of dollars worth of product and only pay pennies on the dollar for it.
    It is daunting to cut coupons and constantly see the "one coupon per purchase per customer per day" in the red fineprint on the bottom. What is a coupon going to do for me if I save one dollar, yet I am forced to purchase two dozen fancy feast tunas before the coupon is applied? I simply don't have enough square footage to become a stockpiler!

    Learning more each and every day, thanks to you! I am so glad the internet has people like you out here! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't keep a massive stockpile either -- I don't like having to manage, dust, and rotate it. To get a sense of how much you should be buying when you see a really good deal, try calculating how much of the product you would use in a month.

      For example, my two cats go through a combined two pouches or cans of cat food a day -- so if I find a great price after coupon and stack on cat food, I at most would buy 60 cans.

      That SOUNDS like a lot, but it's really only a month's worth -- and I can store it in a cabinet or an out-of-the-way place and just bring out more as I need to. Besides, at the end of the month, some other cat food is probably going to be on sale. (I'm lucky and my cats aren't picky.)

      Having a month's worth of food staples for you and your boyfriend serves two purposes as well -- you will see some solid savings, but you won't have bought so much pasta/rice/whatever that you get completely sick of eating the food, and go back to the grocery store to buy different stuff at full price.

      Try this idea and see if it works for you!

      Delete

Post a Comment