How to save money on big-ticket purchases without going crazy


The most difficult request I get from Spend Less, Shop More readers is when people write looking for 'the best deals' on appliances, laptops, cars, and other big-ticket items.  

The truth is, there's no one best deal or site I can point shoppers to for high-ticket items, particularly when used purchases are ruled out for whatever reason.  

That's because what you need an expensive item to do is often really personalized, and I can't decide for you which options are worth paying for.

For example, what looks like a great deal on a car to someone who drives a lot could be way too much money to someone else who works from home and drives a lot less.

Still, there are some basic guidelines I can offer on how to save money on big-ticket purchases without making yourself completely nuts in the process.
  • Make a list of necessary features before you start shopping.  For example, when I bought a new refrigerator last year, I knew I wanted a stainless steel fridge to match other kitchen appliances -- but that I didn't need to spend extra money on an ice maker, since my older house doesn't have a hook-up for it.  (And yes, it turns out you can still find fridges without them!)  
  • Decide what you need before you decide what you can afford.  If you set a price range before you think about features, you'll probably spend the top end of your price range, even if there are lower-priced models available that better fit your needs.  Time's MoneyLand blog has a great article about this phenomenon that's worth reading.
  • Use your smartphone for instant in-store price comparisons.  If you're in Best Buy and you see a camera you like, for example, price-check the make and model number at Amazon to see if better deals are available.  And don't assume that a bricks-and-mortar store offers the same price as the website for the same chain -- always check both.
  • Don't use credit without a plan.  Take a genuine gut check before you whip out your credit card -- what's your history in paying off bills in a timely manner?  If you're saving money now only to pay loads of interest later, it's really not a deal.  On the other hand, if your family has proven you can pay installments successfully, many furniture and appliance stores offer zero-interest deals for anywhere from 18 months to 5 years that you can take advantage of.  Many credit card companies are also offering crazy high-value rewards right now for people with great credit.
  • Stack sales and rebates or bounce-back offers whenever possible.  For example, I am getting ready to buy a new air-conditioning system for my house, which still has the original AC unit from when the house was built 20 years ago.  So I'm working with the CPS Energy-Savers program, which offers not only zero-interest or low-interest loans, but puts me in touch with reputable service companies that can handle the work.  Then, I can turn around and submit for CPS rebates that reward me for reducing my energy costs.
  • Create a 'down payment'.  Even if the store or company you're buying from doesn't require money down, it's a great psychological technique that gets you focused on paying down your purchase from the get-go.  Here are some simple ways to come up with a down payment for your purchase: sell old gold jewelry; find forgotten money; sell your clutter; review your monthly bills.
Following these six tips will help you find the perfect purchase for your family at a price you can afford -- and cut out the stress from the decision-making process, too.

What tips do you have on shopping for big-ticket purchases?  

Share your hints in the comments section below, or leave a post over on the San Antonio Budget Grocery Facebook page.

Want more freebies and deals?  Follow me on Twitter, check out my boards on Pinterest, or keep up with all the action on Facebook.  

Comments

  1. The best thing I do as a frugal budget minded individual, I learned to ran my money before I spent it - I have subcategories in my savings- in short term savings I have "emergency funds" from that point I have a savings line that I "pay" into- every month I put what my car payment would be if I had one on my cars, I also have lines for roof,AC,water heater,etc etc I take the average life expectancy of an item and pay myself the monthly amount it would take to pay for it- instead of paying interest I earn it. Once I reach a time to replace a car,AC, or appliance (like my fridge last month) I start my search as Jen described and I honestly put retailers against each other- I bought a fridge that averaged about $3400 and through CPS rebates, coupons,incentives and using an independent appliance sales center paid 1910

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment