Walgreens Balance Rewards Card Launches With Register Rewards

I have good news for Walgreens shoppers this morning!

As many of you know, Walgreens is preparing to launch a new loyalty card program in September 2012, which will be called Walgreens Balance Rewards.  (If this is news to you, go here to read my post all about it.)

Many couponers and bloggers were worried that the Walgreens Balance Rewards card would be rolled out to replace the current Register Rewards system -- but it looks like it will be operating along with the existing RR program instead!

The Register Rewards program is a catalina program hosted by Coupon Network, and Walgreens has an existing contract to honor certain national catalinas as a result.  

Basically, Walgreens would be violating the terms of their contract if they decided to stop offering catalinas before that contract expires.  So that means double the deals for shoppers right now!

And while we won't know if the Register Rewards will continue to be as plentiful, they definitely won't be disappearing entirely when the new Walgreens Balance Rewards card hits stores in September.

Some resourceful readers over at Wild For Wags called into the Walgreens Customer Service hotline and also got confirmation that the Register Rewards aren't going away any time soon.  If you want to talk to a Walgreens rep yourself, just give them a holler at 1-855-225-9225.

What do you think about this new Walgreens loyalty program?  If you don't shop at Walgreens often now, will the combination of a loyalty card AND Register Rewards make you more or less likely to visit?  

Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

Want more freebies and deals? Go back to the front page, follow me on Twitter, or keep up with all the action on Facebook. 


Comments

  1. The combination would make it similar to that of CVS's ExtraCare program, where you will have a loyalty card, as well as opportunities to receive store credit through printed 'rewards/bucks'. It sounds like Walgreens is trying to keep up with the Joneses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree however, I think this Walgreens Balance Rewards Program will be a lot more benefitting and rewarding. It'll actually make me want to go into their store and shop more knowing that I will get points that equal to a cash dollar value.

      Delete
  2. oh no. Another stinking card to keep up with. BOO! Their sales (and clearance) have not been as good as they used to be so I have been going in there less and less already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually a customer like yourself will have the ability to go card less so a card is not even needed for you.

      Delete
  3. As an anonymous insider I can tell you that this new program is going to be awesome. You will have the opportunity earn points on sale purchases. Your points can be banked or redeemed and you can get anywhere from 5 to 50 dollars off your purchase through redemptions, along with tons of other special offers. You can even earn points onon prescriptions that youI fill. Trust me when I say that this program will be MUCH better than CVS's rewards. And members have the option to go cardless, so there doesn't have to be a card to keep up with. Look for it in mid september.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I beg to differ with this "insider" information. I work for wags too, and its clear that this will not benefit couponers. With the new rewards, there is no way to "roll" into other deals. you cannot use current points on an item to earn further points. This is how a lot of couponers plan their transactions, so this new system is definitely not friendly.

      Delete
    2. If I am following you correctly, you are saying for couponers, they would like to use/redeem their points on the same transaction while also expecting to earn points at the same time, if this is so then you are correct. But At least the couponers will have an option to either rack up PLENTY MORE POINTS or CASH OUT their points/dollars and by their items for free.

      Delete
  4. Just completed the PPL eh? hahaha! I was going to add basically the same information. Waiting to get my card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL..You just completed the PPL huh? lol. You didn't like it? You don't think the program will be benefitting? I think so. I think as all new programs you have to give it a little time to see its worth. Keep in mind, at least with this Balance Rewards program you will be getting coupons/promotions specifically targeted to you on items that you like, and coupons you can use instead of getting coupons and promotions that you are never going to take advantage of.

      Delete
  5. they should discontinue register rewards because i and many other people get a register reward and they lose it and in a month they find the reward coupon for $10 off but guess what it already expired but with the new balance rewards it expires in six months if you don't use the card something to keep in mind

    ReplyDelete
  6. NO card option will be available just use your phone number !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I signed up for the rewards ;program and am on disability and use M.A.P. insurance which is for residents of Travis County. I recently picked up about 5 prescriptions. Thinking I should receive 500 points per script and it takes 5000 points to make $5.00, I checked my reward acct on-line but got nothing but a zero balance. I called the 800 # and was told because my name is linked to a list they get from the government for people on government programs, that I am not eligible for points. WHY NOT!? I cant work, use food stamps and food pantry's, spend my money from my fixed income ck at their store so why am I being discriminated against. I most defiantly could use points for hygiene items and things I need. It doesnt matter if I paid out of pocket, my name would still pop up. And WHY is the government doing that anyway? Why is Walgreens in an agreement like that anyway? How do they benefit from this. This also effects people on Medicare and such. I dont know if it's just the prescriptions or for anything I buy in the store that gives points. I guess since I log in with my phone number or e-mail it wouldn't let me have points for that either. This has just put such a bad taste in my mouth. I guess I could start a petion since everyone else seems to be doing it .Has anyone else run into this problem?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment